New York Academy is committed to the implementation of research-evidence best practice instruction and learning, and to do so in innovative ways. NYA educators grow their science and art of instruction to model, coach, and engage students in the authentic act of learning with a gradual release of responsibility. We aim to guide our students to learn to learn.
Throughout the school year, New York Academy supports its educators with professional development workshops. Further, New York Academy educators collaborate through a professional learning community model where they meet every Wednesday after school for two hours to plan lessons, analyze formative assessments, and share best practice.
New York Academy also brings to campus many scholars and presenters to conduct professional development workshops.
New York Academy maintains membership with several professional organizations, including EARCOS (East Asia Regional Colleges Schools), ISS (International School Services), PTC (Principals Training Center), and WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges). Teachers and administrators are provided the opportunity to attend professional conferences annually.
New York Academy has adopted a set of professional growth standards by which our teachers develop annual professional growth plans. Teachers are observed and coached by administrators and peers.
New York Academy 2017-18 Professional Development Workshops
- Workshop Approach: Explicit and Intentional Engaged Learning
- Modeling the Authentic Act of Thinking and Doing:
Making Learning Visible – “Show, Don’t Tell”
- Making Meaning with Cognitive Processes and Metacognition
- Writing Workshop: Modeling and Coaching Small Moment Scenes
- HMH Curriculum Training
- Formative Assessment Training: P.A.S.T. and DSI
- Formative Assessment Training: DRA2
- Instructional Resources & Best Practice:
> Word Study, Phonics Things & Words Their Way
> Literacy Mats & Leveled Readers
- Formative Assessment Training: On Demand Writing
- Unpacking a Math Standard: Developing a Workshop Math Lesson
- Essential School-Wide Learning Results (ESLRs)
- Professional Learning Community (PLC) Collaboration
- The Responsive Classroom™
- Learning Through Play – Coach, Conferencing, and Modeling
- Backward Design: Enduring Understandings and Essential Questions
- 21st Century Integration and Maker Space Design Thinking Process
- Project Based Learning & Interdisciplinary Team Teaching
- Declarative vs. Procedural Knowledge: Different Approaches to Learning