Working at NYA
At NYA, we are committed to hiring great teachers and providing an engaging, fun and stimulating work environment. Our experienced teachers currently come from six countries and bring their own expertise and culture with them. We offer a comprehensive employment package, which includes a relocation package, housing and healthcare.
Our teachers are a crucial part of our school community. It is an exciting time to teach at NYA as we expand our school and work on implementing cutting-edge progressive teaching practices. We look for teachers who are excited about implementing new techniques in their classrooms and being part of a dynamic, growing organization.
New York Academy maintains membership with several professional organizations, including EARCOS (East Asia Regional Colleges Schools), TAISI (The Association of Independent Schools in India), PTC (Principals Training Center), and WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges).
New York Academy brings to campus experts to conduct workshops and trainings, and teachers and administrators are provided the opportunity to attend professional conferences annually. We have established a Professional Learning Community (PLC) protocols and routines. Our teachers collaborate regularly as part of our PLC schedule.
We are committed to helping our teachers continue to learn and develop their teaching practice.
During the 2017-2018 school year, in-house professional development includes the following workshops:
- Workshop Approach: Explicit and Intentional Engaged Learning
- Modeling the Authentic Act of Thinking and Doing
- Making Learning Visible – “Show, Don’t Tell”
- Making Meaning with Cognitive Processes and Metacognition
- Writing Workshop: Modeling and Coaching Small Moment Scenes
- HMH Curriculum Training
- Formative Assessment Training: P.A.S.T. and D.S.I.
- Formative Assessment Training: D.R.A. 2
- Formative Assessment Training: On Demand Writing/6 Traits Writing
- Instructional Resources & Best Practice: Word Study (Phonics Things & Words Their Way), Literacy Mats & Leveled Readers, Math Centers
- Unpacking a Math Standard: Developing a Workshop Math Lesson
- Essential School-Wide Learning Results (ESLRs)
- Professional Learning Community (PLC) Collaboration
- The Responsive Classroom™
- Learning Through Play – Coach, Conferencing, and Modeling
- Backward Design: Enduring Understandings and Essential Questions
- 21st Century Integration and Maker Space Design Thinking Process
- Project Based Learning & Interdisciplinary Team Teaching
- Declarative vs. Procedural Knowledge: Different Approaches to Learning